As digital dating services go, Hinge is a comparatively new kid on the block.
Originally founded in 2012, it has fast become a popular option for those looking for a meaningful relationship.
What separates Hinge from all the other dating apps out there is its focus on establishing a long-term connection.
There is an uncomfortable association between dating apps and so-called “hookup culture,” but Hinge makes a concerted effort to distance itself from that by emphasizing the emotional connection between potential matches.
If you are tired of casual dating and are keen to find something more long-term, then Hinge might be the right option for you.
Hinge is a full app base dating that can only be used on mobile devices. available on IOS & Android.
- Good value for money: compared to other dating subscription services, Hinge is very competitively priced.
- Typically, a six-month membership will set you back $29.99, which is less than five bucks a month!
- Versatile operating system: that means the app comes in versions specifically designed for iOS, Android, and various others.
- Active interest in post-match connection: Unlike so many other dating apps, you do not need to stop engaging with Hinge once you have had a successful match.
- You can provide feedback to assist the Hinge algorithm in finding the right match in the future, or simply to share your success!
- No desktop version: this can be limiting as it means you need a smartphone to use Hinge.
- Limited free service: for the best experience, you need to go for the premium subscription option.
- If you are using Hinge for free, you will only be entitled to ten “likes” and “matches” per day. For unlimited browsing, you will need to part with some cash.
- Dislikes: people you have “disliked” may still show up occasionally. In theory, this is in case you change your mind about them, but it can be an annoyance.
Hinge Key Features:
- No swiping: unlike other dating apps such as Tinder, Hinge does not require you to swipe left or right to find the right person.
- You can engage with another person’s profile by liking and commenting on photos even if you have not matched.
- “Most Compatible” feature: the sophisticated Hinge algorithm recommends matches by comparing your profile with others.
- You can check out the latest recommendations by selecting the “Discover” option.
- “Date from Home”: if you want to meet face to face, but you aren’t quite ready for a full-on date, you can use the handy “Date from Home” feature to schedule a video call.
- This can be a great (and safe) way to break the ice, and if you are feeling camera-shy then Hinge also has a range of video prompts to keep the conversation going
Overall, if you are just looking for a casual hookup then this may not be the app for you.
However, if you’re keen to find the right partner, with an eye on long-term commitment, then give Hinge a try.
The company’s relationship-oriented ethos is proving a hit with millennials looking for love in the unpredictable world of online dating.